Episode 3: Show Notes
This episode looks at the accidental calorie burn that we can get by moving more during our regular day. Dr. James Levine’s book Get Up! Why Your Chair is Killing You and What You Can Do About It presents research showing that sitting too much can negatively impact both your physical and psychological health.
Ideas for Moving More & Increasing Your Daily Calorie Burn
To get you started thinking about what you might be able to change to increase your daily calorie burn, I’m going to share an idea list. Feel free to post your own ideas in the comment section of the website.
- Take the long way to the bathroom at work. Can you get there more than one way? Always take the longer way.
- If you can, choose a bathroom on a different level of the building or further down the hall.
- Park farther away from the door of all buildings, so you have to walk further.
- Carry fewer items inside the house, so you have to make more trips. This can be unloading groceries, bringing laundry from the first floor to the second floor or taking things outside. More trips will mean more calories burned.
- Walk around your yard at home or work, just because. Smell the flower, count blades of grass, I don’t care, just get outside more.
- Hear a song you like, dance to it! Get down & boogie if you’re in an acceptable place to that. Otherwise, someone might think you’ve gone off the deep end and send the rescue team.
- If offered a treadmill desk – take it!
- Stand up & pace if you’re talking on the phone. A few of my relatives do this naturally. I have to think about it!
- Take a 5- 10 minute walking break every hour.
- Use monitoring equipment to help you keep track of how well you are doing.
- Fit Bit – tracking tool.
- Pedometer – inexpensive, a few dollars at your local Walmart or Target.
- Awareness or other similar apps that remind you to move on your computer.
Tackling Diet & Exercise Obstacles
- Not getting done work on time to shop, cook & eat healthy meals.
- Hunger levels that are so high, we inhale anything we can find.
- Buying things that were on sale but not good for you.
- Bad weather messing up your exercise plans.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Awareness Computer App – Reminder to Take a Break
Right now, I want you to decide what three things you are going to do for your “Accidental Calorie Burn Challenge.” Then write them in the comment section below. I’m going to put my three items to there to get us started!
Ways to Connect with Me:
Subscribe, rate, and review “Breaking Thru Health Barriers with Dr. Terri Wenner” in iTunes so you never miss an episode.
Always feel free to drop use the contact form on my website to send me your comments and questions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.